Sunday, February 8, 2009

Rear Axle Build-up

The first part of the drivetrain that I addressed was the rear axle. The platfrom I started with was 1998 8.8 inch rearend. I chose this rearend for several reasons, this first being that it is Ford's rearend of choice for modern performance vehicles and trucks, which means that is durable. I also liked the "buildability" of the axle. This rearend was a 3.73:1 ratio limited slip with factory disc brakes with internal emergency brakes. I wanted all this technology for the build. I stripped the rearend down to the housing, and removed all existing brackets. I tig welded the axle tubes solid to the center casting. This is a weakness in 8.8 rear axles. I also tig welded the new 4-link brackets from Heidt's onto the housing, and powdercoated the entire housing. I then istalled new axle bearings in the housing, and rebuilt the existing limited slip center section with carbon fiber clutch discs from FMS. I also installed a new forged yoke for 1350 u-joints. The finishing touch was a main girdle. The enitre assembly turned out very nicely, and should be perfect for this build.











No comments:

Post a Comment